Assemble your paperwork:
Having the right information to hand will help speed up the process when you talk to electricity retailers. You will need the following:
- A copy of a recent power bill, or the details of your electricity ICP number(s)
- Owner of business details
- contact names and details of your team members handling quotation and billing (particularly, if they are two different people)
- The location of the electricity meter at the sites you'd like to switch
- Table by month, if possible, your electricity consumption for each ICP. If you do not have these records, ask your current retailer if they will provide this to you
- Ensure that the you are the responsible person for the account with your current retailer
Consider any special requirements:
Does your business have any special requirements for its electricity provision? For example:
- Are there special metering or billing requirements?
- Is your site single phase or three phase power? - electricity providers may not be able to identify whether your premise is single or three phased through the ICP record
- Do you have multiple sites?
- Do you expect your electricity consumption to increase or decrease during the year?
- Do access provision’s need to be made for meter readers?
- Consider what period you want to contract for. Longer term contracts may give a more advantageous price
Research your options:
Contact a range of electricity retailers servicing businesses in your area to compare prices, services and any additional benefits offered. You can start by:
- Reviewing a list of residential providers.
- Talk to retailers about plan options and pricing.
- Consider if a better type of tariff is available to you, i.e. do you have load that could be controllable, or could you receive benefit from a time of use or day/night contracts.
Ask for a written quotation.
- Assess the best option for your business and switch!
- Your new retailer will be able to switch you quickly, as long as you have provided them with all the information you need.